Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Missing Loved Ones...



Twelve years ago today, I lost one of my best friends ever. For those of you who read my sister's blog - she did a post about this yesterday and you may wonder why I am a day late. I was on my mission in Lithuania in April 1997 and in a different time zone, therefore April 15th has always had a different meaning than to the rest of my family - not just Tax Day. As Doc might have said, "a day late and a dollar short!"

My Doc-ee was such an awesome man, and everyone who remembers him knows he was always a "ball of fire." One of my fondest memories is whenever I would get home from a date early, or didn't feel like going out, I would head over to Doc and Grandma's and he would cook up a steak for me and we would play pinochle for hours. Another favorite is one time he wasn't able to come to my softball game at Snow College, while I was playing for UV, and he was on my mom's cell phone right before I hit. He said, "Hit a homer for me," or something like that, and sure enough, I hit that homer, with him on the phone - and he said he heard the crack of the bat!

The beautiful image above is the headstone my mom and uncle designed for their parents. Grandma left us on New Year's Day 2000 - she said on her way out she just wasn't Y2K compliant. She was a great lady too, and made lunches for all her grandkids everyday for years and years. Then Doc would pick us up and take use to school. They really did spoil us! I miss 'em and I can't wait to see them both again.

This time of year, with Easter just behind us, I turn to the Gospel and think of all the wonderful things in store for us. I am grateful for the knowledge we have that families are forever.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Aww that made me cry, I miss Doc too. He really was such a huge part of my childhood (along with the rest of your family) and always in my thoughts, I have such fond memeories of both your grandparents, such a sweet post Kat.