Sunday, September 13, 2009

He Loves It!

Here's the story of Harry's first day of preschool - I need to get these things written before I forget all the details.

That morning we got Luke ready and off to school and I had about an hour to get Harrison psyched for his first day. He wasn't excited. AT. ALL. We practically forced him to take a bath, then I had to dress him myself after quite a battle of what to wear.

Then came the blessing. We explained to him that daddy was going to put his hands on his head and give him a priesthood blessing like he does for Luke before the school year. He's seen many blessings, not a foreign concept to him. "I don't want a blessing," he says in his little cartoon-y voice. I ask, "Do you want one if you get to sit on my lap?" Sure. So he climbs up and all goes well...until he starts knocking his dad's hands off his head saying, "Get your hands off me, I don't want a blessing!"

We eventually made it through and a few minutes later he was sitting in the corner sobbing. "What's wrong, buddy?" I asked. "I DON'T WANT ONE!!!" OK, bud. Got it....."BUT YOU ALREADY DID IT!!!" he yelled.

Jon did give him a really nice, short blessing and off to school we went. We're doing the co-op thing so it was at a friend's house. He didn't want to be there, didn't want to take his shoes or his backpack off, didn't want to get on board the make believe choo choo train that takes the kids into the family room to learn. I stayed for the opening part, and then told him I needed to go. I whispered, "I'll even get you a doughnut if you're good." He was devastated that I was going to leave. So I sat quietly on the couch, hoping Baby Z would not distract the kids.

About five minutes passed and all of the sudden, Harry turned around and announced, "You can go now, Mom." And he LOVES school ever since! And I LOVE having a few hours a week of just me and the Z. All is well in Harry's little world of school now. I just hope we don't have to go through the same thing every time we switch houses!

2 comments:

Lorelie Andrus said...

So funny and so-o-o-o HARRY! Hope all goes well next school day.

Eden said...

those second children are certainly their own persons! Cute Harry--glad he likes school now! When's your week?