Monday, January 11, 2010

GET IN SHAPE 2010

Every new year, and countless times throughout the year, I start a new fitness routine, diet, detox - you name it. I also have recurring goals regarding the temple, journal/blog, scripture study, and family home evening. Then there's the part of me that feels extreme guilt for not growing my mind intellectually as I feel like each baby I have zaps a fraction of my once-bright mind. . I start lots of books each year and try to learn something new once in awhile. And don't even get me started on my housekeeping routines. It's simply time to change all this.

For the last couple months, I have been feeling the need to REALLY get in shape. And as athletically minded as I am, I don't just mean physically. Yes, it is important to be healthy and I believe our spirits need strong bodies to accomplish all the things required of us. Of course I want to be back in a size 6-8 and not be so self conscious at my uncle's pool or on my sister's boat in the summertime. But being physcially in shape is just a part of it. I'm feeling just as flabby and soft spiritually and intellectually. Those areas really need a workout in my life - and I include the house, although I'm not really sure what it fits under, it needs to be part of my "new routine."

So for 2010, my motto is "GET IN SHAPE." As with everything in my life, it's a work in progress. Last night Jon and I sat down and wrote goals for each part. The plan is to review those goals together every week and check up on each other. We committed to each other to do something each day to improve in each area - even if that just means for the intellectual side, that we look up a new word that day, or spiritually that we read a couple verses of the Book of Mormon together, or physically, twenty minutes on the eliptical, a little weights, or even a few extra trips up and down the stairs.

The hardest part for me is it's never a quick fix. It's a process and I need to accept that it will take some time to change old habits and to see results. Each area takes a little more focus, a little more effort and at the end of the year, I think it will all be a lot better. It's going to be a great year, and it really is the year for me and my little family to GET IN SHAPE.

4 comments:

Beckie said...

You're preaching to the choir! I wish you much success as you get in shape this year - and I look forward to hearing of your progress. :)

Eden said...

You are right-- this IS going to be a great year!! You need to help me stay up on my goals too. I'm excited for the new changes:)

Megan B ♥ said...

Just remember, you are amazing! I feel the same way about this year. Gotta get it in geeeeeear! If not now, then WHEN?

A Little Sass said...

AMEN!!!! Best of luck! Now if we could all just slow down enough to just make it all happen! Keep us posted.