Friday, October 31, 2008

Insomniac

I've entered that dreaded phase of pregnancy when sleep is practically non-existent. Between not-the-best-sleepers for kids, the frequent trips to the loo, my already hyperactive mind at night, and the unwelcome house guest we've been dealing with this week, I'm not getting many z's.

Regarding that last little mention, I have been trying to decide how to post about our little problem. The gist of it is, we have a vole in our house - a.k.a. field mouse. We chased the little bugger around after I spotted him by the pantry Monday night - this is after I cleaned and sanitized the entire space - not to mention how much stuff I threw away. Aargh. We never caught the sucker, but we bought lots of traps and POISON.

Our little rodent and I assume, his family, have devoured de-con and managed to avoid several traps...until tonight at 3:00 a.m. I first checked the traps in the pantry - the lttle bugger moved the thing and I about lost it. Then, I decided to check under the sink. Sure enough, we have our first victim. It looked like a scene from CSI though. (Amy, you might want to stop reading.) We had a little wooden trap and a glue trap. The wood trap damaged the animal and sprayed blood all over the inside of the cabinet and apparently somehow missed the little vermin. He, injured and bloody, then crawled into the glue trap and died.

I'm so excited to clean that all up in the morning. Jon has assured me I'll have no part in that being preggo. Thanks babe and Happy Halloween everyone.

5 comments:

Amy said...

You are right, I should have stopped reading. That's awful. I'm so sorry.

Megan B ♥ said...

Mice. NASTY. One of my least favorite mission memories, and you know how funny that comment is :) I understand insomnia, for sure. Try Unisom 3 nights in a row and see if that resets you, breaks the cycle?

Megan B ♥ said...

Mice. NASTY. One of my least favorite mission memories, and you know how funny that comment is :) I understand insomnia, for sure. Try Unisom 3 nights in a row and see if that resets you, breaks the cycle?

Amanda said...

Yuck. It seriously sounds like something straight out of CSI: Rodents.

As for the sleep, I highly recommend vitamin B-5, (also called "Pantothenic Acid). It not only helps you sleep, but also helps you fall back asleep after interruptions. I've used it several times in my life and it works like a charm!

Lorelie Andrus said...

The upside of the rodent invasion... you have the cleanest, most sanitary pantry imaginable.
(Probably not worth all the trauma and lost sleep--but ALMOST a silver lining!)