Saturday, March 28, 2009

I'm Kind Of Addicted...

I've always had an addictive personality, and as a mom, it's been quite a ride watching my addictions take new forms. As a kid, it was mostly sports - gymnastics five hours a day, to 12 high school varsity letters in five different sports - then college athletics. Then mission, school, work, etc... As a mom, it's the need to feel like I'm doing a good job with the kids, the co-op teaching groups for our kids, the house, and whatever I can throw my entire self into. I get it, I am obsessed when I feel strongly about something.

When my friend Megan introduced me to the blogging world, and the land of digital scrapbooking last year, it was no surprise to me how obsessed I became. I love that my blog acts as a journal for me and that I am finally motivated to do a better job at keeping my family's history. Of course, each of those entails something I have always liked, but more recently become um, well, a little addicted to - photography.

Growing up, we were all used to having the camera in our faces - mom was a great photographer. And I've watched my brother and sister both get really good over the past few years. Jon bought me my first DSLR for Christmas of 07 and since then, the addiction has just been growing. I obviously have much to learn and I spend a lot of time reading field guides, tutorials, and anything I can get my hands on. Not to mention - practice, practice, practice.

I am often reminded of President Uchtdorf's statement in conference last fall about finding something and beautifying it. I think right now, photography is what I am doing to beautify that creative (and a tiny bit addictive) little corner in my life.

My sis and I entered an online contest (she made top ten her first time - way to go Ames!) and we'll see Monday how this one turns out. Here's the shot I entered for the black and white entry. The other one is just some more "practice" of my most cooperative model.

5 comments:

Angee said...

If you need more practice, I would love for you to practice on my kids. :) For some reason they think when I'm taking pictures that they're supposed to pull funny faces.

I would especially like it if you practiced sports shots on for my girls' soccer. You're not busy or anything, right? Ha ha. I just keep hoping I'll run into you at Smiths...

The Downey Family said...

Cute family Kat!!!

Eden said...

yes, please--any time you need to practice, just let me know! You really have gotten so good, your photos are beautiful!

Megan B ♥ said...

I LOVE your addiction!!! You're so talented; I can't think of any cute photos to take of Crew :(

Em said...

Kat, you're amazing! I call dibs on holding Z on Thursday night. :)