Saturday, April 19, 2008

First Utah County Ride of the Year

Last Sunday, when it was actually over 40 degrees, we took the boys for a little post-church "please go to sleep" drive up to Alpine to check out the bike trail we like to frequent. I was pleasantly surprised to see none of the white stuff and the trails looked really dry. There were tons of bikers up there and we got the itch to go riding this week. As the week flew by, we realized today was the only day we could fit it in, so Jon took a long lunch and we went up to Lambert Park. I do have the best "laurels" who are willing to watch the kids on a whim like today. Thanks Whit.

The winds were threatening to end our ride before it began as we drove up the highway, but as soon as we got on the trail, the temperature was 71 degrees and the winds died down significantly. When they did blow, I like to think they helped me up the mountain. I need all the help I can get.

On that note...I'm still getting used to my clipless, but it was so wonderful to get out in nature, and get a little workout. Yes, I did fall, but we're chalking this one up as my first real crash since I got my bike. (Unlike St. George where it was pure inexperience with my shoes.) I took a corner too fast and laid the bike down into some brush and scrub oak. No major injuries, but I do think until I am better or less reckless on the downs, maybe I should consider riding in long sleeves and pants! Maybe I should pad my knees and hips too. Jon would be so proud to ride with the biggest dork on the mountain.

Unfortunately, the temperatures are already plummeting and tomorrow is supposed to be back in the forties, so our next ride may be awhile. But our little lunch date was perfect for today.

3 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

I'm proud of you! And so glad that you found something you can enjoy together -- clipless and all :)

amy said...

How fun!!! I am just still excited that I made your blog! It was fun last week we will have have to do it again!

Richard, Angi and Fam said...

That was so fun going through and reading everything! ALl your pictures are so cute. My favorite was the photo booth pictures those were hilarious!!! The playdate was fun we will have to all do it again!!! Ang